For years I wanted a chess table that was well made, not too big or overpriced, and one with some elegance, but not so immaculate that I would have to play it with caution. Add to that, I wanted four stable legs, not a pedestal style.
Since I couldn’t find any well made chess tables that fit this criteria, I decided to design one and bring it to market in small numbers. Although the initial design received some very positive comments it was missing adequate space next to the chess playing area for those captured pieces and if desired, a chess timer. For a chess table that will be played often that’s pretty important!
Now I had to rethink the design without sacrificing key aspects of the unique design, namely
– The chess table should not take up too much living space, yet be comfortable to sit and play.
– It must setup and take down efficiently for easy, ultra-compact storage.
– Be a multi-use table with a JLP Chess Board playable without the table frame when desired.
After considering all the input and reworking the design slightly, the new table was finalized. I am very pleased with the design and proud to have it on display.
The unusual design makes it compact for storage and shipment, and quite easy to assemble and disassemble. This is what you would receive. And if you already own the chessboard, you need just the table frame portion.
An elegant, spacing-saving chess table design
Furniture smooth clear coat finish brings out the solid construction of the maple and walnut hardwoods. Subtle arcs soften the entire design.
The playing surface is slightly raised and there is plenty of space for captured pieces
or a chess timer.
For an entirely minimalist look, the side shelves release and store inside the table.
Brass bushings then punctuate the side panels.
Imagine this chess table in your home.
Key features at a glance
– Multi-purpose table surface is also chessboard you can play independently
– Inside storage for pieces, chess clock, etc.
– Assembles easily with no specialized tools
– 100% USA made from sustainably sourced Walnut and Maple
– Each chess table hand made with great care by experienced craftsman
– At 30″ height with arched skirting, it’s comfortable to sit and play.
30″ Table Height (29.5″ without board)
3″ Inside Storage Height
25lbs Table Weight with board
18lbs 10oz Table Frame Weight (without board)
Video of chess table assembly and features
Discuss the chess table design
I welcome your comments! Like, dislike? Have you made your own table? Do you own a table?